Monday, July 13, 2015

5 DIY Must Haves

For DIY beginners, it can be frustrating to not have the proper materials when working on a project. I have compiled a list of key things that I keep on hand at all times for my projects!


  • Paintbrushes!
You couldn't even imagine the number of times I have began a project without a durn paintbrush anywhere in the house! You can find cheap paintbrushes at Lowes or Home Depot just to have handy.


  • Electric Palm Sander 
These can be purchases at your local home improvement store but can become a little pricy. I purchased mine from Harbor Freight Tools for $13.99 and it has come in handy many times!
http://www.harborfreight.com/14-sheet-orbital-palm-sander-61509.html


  • Terry Cloth Towels
You are going to make messes--it's just a fact. I keep these towels on hand for cleaning my work station, staining wood, and even wiping down the wheels of my car!


  • Drill and Screws
When starting a project, I have always been told that you need something to take the wood apart and something to put it back together. Screws are my fastener of choice. I purchased a decent drill on Amazon, after picking out what I liked at Lowes and I also purchased several different sizes of screws.


  • Miter Saw
There are many different kinds of saws you can purchase but my favorite is the miter saw. You can turn and tilt the blade to cut angles and I feel like it is a safer tool because it is table top. It might take some getting use to but after you learn how it works, you will use it all the time!

So that about sums up the essentials--of course, every project is different and you will need different tools for different jobs but this will get you started. We start with taking the material apart (miter saw), putting back together in the fashion that you desire (drill and screws), preparing material for finishing (sander), putting the finishing touches on (paintbrushes), and finally, cleaning the project and working area (terry cloth towels).

No comments:

Post a Comment